Monday, October 25, 2010

Upcycling





Design Rationale

The target market I have chosen for this project are artists who like to carry around visual diaries to write down notes and scribble down ideas anywhere they go.

For this project I decided to make use of unused aluminium cans and tossed out hard cover books to make a notepad and sketch pad duo. I chose aluminium cans because they are extremely common in landfills and as garbage everywhere and I thought that there was a lot of potential to manipulate something exciting out of them. To make the covers of the diary I needed a material that was strong and sturdy, and so I decided that using an old hard cover book that had its pages damaged and was no longer readable would be the best choice.

I separated the front and back covers from the spine and took down measurements on the covers dimensions. From that I determined that 4x4 cm square pieces were the most suitable size to stick onto the cover, and use rectangular pieces folder over the edges. The aluminium pieces were stuck down using super glue, and once all surfaces were covered with aluminium I went over everything with clear contact, to protect the surface form scratching and also to reinforce the glue in sticking the pieces down.

I used recycled paper pads, one with lines for writing notes and the other plain for drawing. I used an electric drill to drill the holes thru the paper and the covers and used a rubber wire to bind it all together.

I believe that the product I have designed will work for a beneficial use in reducing the waste build up in landfills for aluminium cans and hard cover books.

5 comments:

  1. I really like how you have chosen a material that usually ends up in landfill, yet should ultimately be recycled. What engages me is the design. Its playful nature seems to make written work seem more 'fun' and pleasurable. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man this is so eye-catching! Definately adds an element of amusement when using monotone writing paper, and would appeal to the younger-young adult market. Innovative thinking.. I would never have thought to put books and soda cans together! but it works! ahha. great work again. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow ... this is reall cool . All i have thought abt using "aluminium cans" is giving me very sharp edges ... so before i really wanted to used this but then "no" cos i coulnt think of a way how to work with its sharpness and what product outcome in the market.
    Now i can see this work soooo well even incooperated with a very soft material like paper.
    i like ur work . well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Lee, very nice work here. I like the use of the aluminium cans because it gives it such character. The different cans provide different and eye catching designs that a normal customer would not pass up the opportunity to just stop and look at your design. I like the idea and how you pulled it off. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pop-art feel you've created with this folder. It's definitely a great way to use such a discarded material and provides the protection that a folder you buy at the shop if not more. It's an eye catching work that has a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete