Monday, August 2, 2010

Video Reflection: David Kelly on Human Centred Design

David Kelly provided and amazing presentation on human centred design which I think is a very inspirational and educational experience. The products, designs and ideas presented were all focused to bring about more user interaction with technology without the feeling of being dominated by machines.

I particularly liked the changing room design in the shopping mall; the new interior has much more space than the current rooms in stores. The liquid crystal glass that changes from opaque to transparent with a simple switch of a button is a very clever idea and definitely very classy. The designers definitely took into consideration many factors when designing the new rooms, creating something futuristic that also gave a sense of comfort to customers. I was left in awe with the audience as the multi view mirror also showed a three second delay to allow customers to view their back, leading me to ask myself ‘was there anything these guys didn’t think of?’

At first I didn’t quite understand how the design team would redesign a cubicle, I’ve always seen them as three simple walls surrounding a desk, in other words: boring. But I slowly started to get a picture as the team threw around ideas, trying to ‘humanize’ the cubicle. The finished product was an amazing cubicle that featured a fish tank, flower pots, warm colours that represented the sun, it was humanised to give an emotional atmosphere that gave life. To trigger an emotional response from the audience, customer or viewer shows that not only has the designer done their job right, but they have taken a huge step forward in the understanding of the connections between the designs and people. I am definitely getting myself a cubicle like that if I ever work in one.

The SpyFish equipment is quite the upgrade for customers who like to spend time on the water. The SpyFish is a small camera that goes underwater which is controlled by a wireless remote. It allows the controller to experience the beauty underwater without having to get wet. The design of the camera is amazing as shape and size allow it to roam freely underwater while also blending in with the inhabitants of the sea. It is amazing how the designers managed to pack so many advanced functions into a machine so small.

The video was overall was very inspirational and sets the bars for future designers. It was a great guide that will help shape myself up when I start my own designs. The video successfully captured the products that have been human centred and I am hoping to see more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment