Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Video Reflection: Donald Norman on Emotional Design

Donald Norman’s talk on emotional design was a very interesting topic and very much enjoyable. I hung onto every word that came out of his mouth and many things he said were exactly how I felt about many designs myself. His talk also made me recognise the subconscious thoughts in me when looking at designs.

He presents designs in a way that they are more for show rather than for their actual use, such as the orange juicer, which Donald claims to use as decoration in the house rather than what it is really meant to be used for. This was a little confusing to me at the start, as I always thought that the a design would have to focus more on function over visuals, although many designs in the modern day incorporate both.

I laughed to myself when he touched on the Google design, it had never occurred to me that the many ‘O’s represented pages; it was just something I noticed but never gave second thoughts about. Donald showed thru his presentation how we subconsciously register designs that positively affect us emotionally and trigger us to want that product. I relate that to me and think how true what he said was. An example would be me and iPods, I know that they are one of the faultiest products ever made yet their symmetrical and sleek design attract me to it, prompting me to buy it.

Donald really presented an insightful talk into the human emotion, showing us how a positive feeling can greatly affect how we think, which in turn help us to be more creative with ideas. It is the feeling of being able to tackle any problem without the fear of failing. It is so true as I feel this way myself when trying to tackle a hard problem to solve, but having a good feeling helps deal with the problem.

Overall I feel the video was very informative and provided a lighter side to design, Donald’s humorous presentation has given me a positive feeling to design and acts as another inspiration for me. I feel that in the future designing based on emotions will be one of the most designed products as the people look toward more visually exciting objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment